[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″]Commercial off-the-shelf software solutions and applications have their advantages. However, many businesses are starting to find greater value in custom-built, bespoke software programs that are specifically designed to meet the demands of their business and operations.
Studies show that a commercial enterprise application can only meet around 75% of your business’ needs, which means you still need to resort to other measures and strategies to compensate for the remaining work. This is especially true when your company has requirements that are very specific to your operations and line of business. While custom-built solutions cost more up front, they offer unique bespoke software solutions that provide your business a competitive advantage over rival companies, something that off-the-shelf solutions cannot offer.
The generic software may be enough to run a business, but it simply is not enough to maximise operational and profit potential. It is not designed to scale up as your company grows. Here are some reasons why you should avoid using off-the-shelf software:
Off-the-shelf software features and functionalities are likely lacking or not optimal
- Fixes and enhancements are delivered only periodically
- You may have to pay for enhancements that are not relevant to your business
- Software vendor considers generic business requirements and may not know enough about your own core business
- Old version obsolescence is a possibility
- Updates and enhances are often only available through a specific (paid) maintenance program
- Software licensing models vary
Chosen well, an out-of-the-box software can meet some of your business needs and is easy to deploy. But while it may offer a degree of customisation, it is nowhere close to a bespoke program in terms of flexibility and scalability. So if you are serious about growing your business, go for bespoke software developed specifically for your organisation.[/vc_column][/vc_row]